After putting the kids to bed, I was downstairs trying to finish up my day when I heard Kara crying my name. Well, if my name were "MMMmmmmooooooooommmmmmmyyyyyy!".
I ran up the steps, two at a time, and raced to her room to "shoosh" her before she woke Jack. When I got into her room, she was sitting up in bed with the covers pulled around her, wide-eyed and crying about how she was afraid of monsters in the back yard.
I sat down on the edge of the bed and looked out at the quiet, pre-dusk evening through her bedroom window. Hesitantly, Kara joined me and took a peek herself. She said, "I see my swingset, and one of Alyssa's balls (our neighbor), and . . . hey! There's Jesus and God!".
The rest of the conversation is too difficult to comprehend, let alone re-create, but it went something like this:
Me: Where are Jesus and God?
Kara: Right there! Jesus is green and God is orange.
Me: Green and orange? Where?
Kara: (giggling) Right there!
Me: But I don't see anything green or orange. Where? In our yard?
Kara: No, over there!
Me: (realizing I'm not going to see Jesus or God at this point) Well, isn't that nice! Jesus and God are both outside of your window, watching over you and protecting you. See! There's nothing to be afraid of! You have Jesus and God!
Kara: (face full of smiles and wide-eyed excitement, presses her face against the screen and yells out into the quiet night) "Thank you God and Jesus!"
I'm sure the neighbors are wondering what kind of revival we have going on over here, but I don't care. My baby has God and Jesus watching over her, making her feel safe, and putting her to sleep with a smile on her face. We should all be so lucky. Sigh. The faith and innocence of a child. How can I recapture that for myself?
***UPDATE***
Since this story, we have looked for God outside of Kara's window every night. We haven't seen him again. Until today, 8/23/08.
Tonight the girls and I "stayed up late" watching Cinderella, eating popcorn and snuggling on the couch. When the movie was over, I commented about how late it was and how dark it was outside. Kara stood up on the couch to look out the window, and exclaimed, "There he is! It's God again!". From where we were sitting, I had a good view of the bright light coming from the streetlight on the next block.
July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment