Most days I manage to tune out 99.9% of what my kids say. Is that something I should be proud of? No, probably not. But it's a gift I have and, I'm not gonna lie, it comes in handy 99.9% of the time. I think it's like a survival mechanism for moms. The ability to completely break from reality from time to time, to protect your psyche from the damage that children under the age of 6 can cause. I guess it's similar to what people report after being subjected to extremely traumatic situations.
"It was like I was hovering above my body, watching what was going on, but not really involved".
I mastered the skill after spending time driving long distances in a car with a screaming newborn who was against the idea of traveling in restraints. While riding backwards. In a carseat. Oh, I'll admit that it used to cause me complete and utter angst while driving, but by child #3? I barely noticed. The screaming would begin, mommy would turn up the music and go to her "happy place"
Luckily, the incidence of car ride screaming has been drastically reduced in recent months, and today was one of those .1% days where I actually managed to tune in to some pretty funny stuff being said in my presence. Like when we were driving in the car and I heard Jack say something about how we should get pumpkins for our front porch, and Kara's response to him was that "Pumpkins are so passé. That's French for over (said with attitude, sounding more like oooohhh-vah)"
Read Fancy Nancy books much, Kara?
I just couldn't stop laughing.
Kind of like the day I turned around to see what was keeping Jack so quiet in the back seat of the van. This is what I saw*:
My two year old, hands waving in the air, tongue out, stickers plastered all over his face, dancing to the music. What if I would have missed that? I don't think my life would be the same.
So while I'll reserve the right to continue escaping from the reality that is my life from time to time, I promise to make an effort to be "here" more often. Because Ferris Bueller was right.
"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
*yes, I'm totally aware that his carseat strap is incorrect. I can only assure you that when he was buckled in, his chest clip was at armpit height. Cut me some slack. The boy managed to get stickers all over his body without me noticing ... do you really think I have any control over keeping him properly restrained in his carseat?
October 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment