CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

July 29, 2010

Full Disclosure: A Day in History

One of the things that I like most about social media is the ability to stay connected.  Whether it be playing around on Facebook, or reading other people's blogs, stay-at-home moms like myself find a way to connect with other people at a time in their lives that might feel quite isolating.

On the other hand, one of the things that I hate most about social media is the "toot your own horn" epidemic that it creates.  Moms that rely on their Facebook status or most recent blog post to brag about their kids, what a wonderful mom they are, what nutritous meals they feed their children, what wonderful places they take them and experiences they give them.  Blah, blah, blah.  I choose to let it all hang out ... the good, the bad, and the ugly.  On Facebook, I'm just as likely to be complaining about my children as I am to be praising them.  Just as likely to mention how bored I am, as I am to mention what a fun day we just had.  Just as likely to admit to my shortcomings and mistakes as I am to my victories and accomplishments.

So, in order to keep this blog as realistic as possible, let me offer this amendment to my most recent post about taking the children to the Museum of History.  Lest any of you should be left thinking, "what a great mom", or "how wonderful are her children", I want to be sure that I'm fully disclosing the following:

Before getting this cute shot of all of the kids sitting with Abe Lincoln on the bench outside ...


I had to utter the words, "Kara, get your finger out of Abe's nose!  And Jack, get your finger out of your nose!"
 

Before getting this darling shot of all 3 kids posing on the steps to the courthouse, there was a lot of whining, fighting, arguing, and threatening by mommy.  I had also just finished saying, "Kara, take your thumb out of your mouth and smile!"  (notice the left thumb, freshly removed from mouth, poised to go back in once the photo was taken?)


Once inside of the pioneer home, we spent more than our fair share of time going inside of the outhouse, pretending it stunk, and running out of there.  What can I say?  We like poop humor.


And when the day was over, we ended it like we end most family activities in the summer time, eating ice cream:



Final disclosure:  mommy has gained 5-10 pounds this summer with all of the ice cream eating that has been going on!

Now excuse me while I go update my Facebook status with the following:

Sitting around in my pajamas, updating my blog, while my kids are parked in front of the television.  Again.

0 comments: