CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

January 12, 2011

DSi(ntervention)

So, as you might have gathered from our holiday photos, Jenna got a Nintendo DSi for Christmas.


I've always been against little kids having gaming systems, but I figured that Jenna was a bit older now.  And I thought she would like it, but never really thought she'd get too into it.  It would just be something nice for her to have for car trips, and things like that.

After Christmas, when I uploaded all of our photos on to the computer, I took note of how many photos depicted Jenna playing her game.  I found it kind of funny.



At every holiday event, there were at least a few shots of her playing her new game.





And then?  It spread as quickly and indiscriminately as the Norovirus stomach flu going around town.

Suddenly, daddy liked to play it.  Rumor has it that the nights I'm at work he's been known to sneak into Jenna's room after she's asleep to quietly slip it off of the charger.



Then Kara.

Even Jack has gotten into the action.



The 4 of them fight, argue, whine and pout over who's turn it is to play.  When it's not their turn, they clamor around to watch the person who is playing.  When they get their hands on it, they look like addicts must when they score a hit.




Suddenly I've found myself in an unimaginable position.  I'm creating schedules and declaring time limits.  I've even gone so far as to SET MY KITCHEN TIMER.

You never imagine it will happen to your own family, but sometimes it does. 

We need help, people.  Now I find myself wishing we could go back to the days of this type of technology in the house:


I think it's time for an intervention.  A DSi(ntervention).  I'm going to call A & E right now ...

2 comments:

Melanie

I hear ya! The DS is going to be the breakdown of the American family ;-)

Five in Finland

Rob and I call those things "kiddie crack" and we have imposed Stalin-like rules around their use. (You usually see my kids with them on holidays when we loosen the rules a bit.) If you dont' set a timer, you will never see the whites of their eyes again.