Wow!
7:05am
Kids dressed and ready to go outside.
We made them wait until at least 8, out of respect for the neighbors.
The drifting in the backyard caused a gap between the tallest drift and the back fence. The kids thought it was an awesome fort, and played out there for hours (despite the winds and dropping temperatures).
8:15am
While the kids play, I take obligatory pictures of the snow (so I can add them to the hundreds of photos of snow that have been passed down to me from my grandparents and parents) ...
We decide that it is impressive, for Central Illinois.
But still nothing like the winter of 2007-2008 in Wisconsin. Where we lived at the time. Without a snow blower. While Mark was working in Illinois during the week, and I was living up there with 3 kids, ages 4 and under, a dog, and a house for sale. But that's an entirely different story.
While the kids played and I took pictures, Mark began the process of snow blowing.
We wouldn't see him again for several hours.
Having the biggest snow blower on the block makes you feel pretty cool. And apparently, yours is the only one that will plow through the stuff.
So, you have to help rescue neighbors' cars that are stuck a block away, and clear one neighbor's driveway after another.
12:00pm
Finally, at about noon, the sun came out ...
And Mark finally returned home.
By about 3pm, a plow passed through our neighborhood (in record time, I might add) and shortly thereafter, our newspaper was delivered.
I don't think the mail ever did get delivered that day, which really is about the first day I can ever recall NOT getting mail!
By 4pm, as the temperatures dipped down to freezing, neighbors started to arrive with "thank you" gifts for Mark ... a tray of home made cookies, a mug of something hot to drink. Sweet.
7pm
We get the call. School is cancelled again for tomorrow. I know the drill. Rural school district, rural roads that aren't plowed, buses that can't get through, yadda, yadda.
I just hope that there's enough wine and cookies for me to survive another day!



















0 comments:
Post a Comment