technically you're supposed to "link up" to the person's site who created this link and activity, but I'm not linking up to anything since my blog isn't really a public blog
: :
Beauty
Back in the day when I was an adolescent and teenager, beauty was simply a state of physical appearance. Completely shallow, purely visual and reserved only for the people or things I thought deserved the title based on how they looked.
As I got older and what I perceived to be wiser in my 20's I was able to recognize that beauty is all around me -- vistas of nature that continually surprise me and fascinate me. As I became less self-centered and idealistic I learned to look for it, to seek it out, to appreciate it.
My 30's have brought the realization that beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Each of us is able to see beauty in something that perhaps another just doesn't see. Or maybe we are the ones that just have a hard time understanding the beauty another sees in something else.
But that's all the visual part of beauty. The part that is seen and admired and enjoyed for it's loveliness.
What I'm thinking of isn't physical beauty or the kind you can get a visual imagery of, but rather the feeling of beauty. Not in the sense of feeling pretty but rather in the sense of being fully aware and able to recognize the beauty within you. Your sense of self, your pride in who you are, your awareness of the unique gifts you bring to this world. But even more than that the feeling you get from the relationships you've formed with those around you.
When I think of beauty it's no longer the physical that is conjured up in my mind, but rather the intangible. The feeling I have about my children, how it feels to be their mother, the relationship I have with them, and the love they feel for me. Now that's beauty.




0 comments:
Post a Comment