Next stop on the crazy train was Christmas Day at Grandma Muehleck's house.
We arrived early in the afternoon for our annual appetizer and present-overload.
None of us quite knew what to expect or how the day was going to look or feel without Buck there, but it very much the same. We all missed him and his presence that day, but were all able to celebrate the true spirit of Christmas and learn how to keep the traditions alive without him there. Doing that is so much easier with the little kids ... they keep their focus the same and bring smiles because of their enthusiasm.
Jack's favorite gifts this year were the red Angry Bird blanket, Chicago Bears Pillow Pet and Talking Erik doll from Happy Feet. He also got a complete set of Mario Bros. figurines, so that just made his day!
Kara and Jenna were each thrilled about the bag of loot they got from Justice from Grandma. A rolling duffel bag filled with an outfit, pajamas, journal, pen and craft set. They're both just growing up so quickly and I really realized it this Christmas time when their lists no longer included anything princess or Barbie-related. I don't miss the giant heaps of plastic toys, but do miss my baby girls.
Once the gifts were all unwrapped we headed upstairs for a very light dinner. Grandma had the traditional Christmas poppers at every place setting, and everyone wore their paper crowns as usual. Now that's a tradition that I know will stick for years to come : )
I shouldn't make it seem like the kids were the only ones to luck out in the gift department. I got a beautiful glass lantern that I just love from Mary Karen. I had been eyeing lanterns for a while and wanting one for our front porch and a little birdie must have told MK about that! The same little birdie remembered a sweater that I had pointed out while shopping for the kids with her and she went back to purchase it for me for Christmas. (thanks, Carolyn!)
My favorite gifts of all though were the framed watercolors that Carolyn gave each of her children and older grandchildren. She had divided up the collection of watercolors that Jerry had painted, both finished and unfinished, and framed them for her kids and grandkids to have. What a special present. We can't wait to get them hung up in our house to enjoy for years to come! I'll post pics once we get that accomplished.











0 comments:
Post a Comment