

Earlier this month (6/30-7/5 to be exact), our family spent the 4th of July holiday week up in Door County, WI at my in-law's cottage in Bailey's Harbor. This year it was our turn to stay at the cottage, while Mary Karen and Rob's family rented a place in town. This year also marked the first time that we took the trip for a full week, not our usual long weekend. Due to the lengthened travel time from our new home in Illinois (7 hours driving time, 9 hours driving with the kids) and the fact that this would be our family vacation for the year, we decided to make a week out of it. And I'm so glad we did!
The girls loved spending time with their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, playing in the sand and water, and visiting all of their favorite places on the penninsula (The Farm in Sister Bay, The Sandpiper Restaurant in Bailey's Harbor, Wilson's Ice Cream Shoppe in Ephraim, Novel Ideas book shop in Bailey's). Jenna's highlight of the week was "going Sea-doo-ing with daddy". Kara loved "jumping on the trampoline" that Aunt Jen and Uncle Steve had up on their beach. Jack wasn't a big fan of the sand, or the water for that matter, but he loved all of the extra attention bestowed up him by all of his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
The highlight of the week, as usual, was the 4th of July and all of it's traditional components: being in the Bailey's Harbor parade with "Buck" and his model-A club . . . having hot dogs in the park after the parade . . . visiting the "crap" fair after the parade . . . BBQ-ing with the whole family for dinner . . . staying up late to watch the Phillips family fireworks on the beach . . . having smores by the campfire . . . staying up even later to watch the fireworks from town, across the water.
For the first several years that I spent the 4th in Door County, I have to admit I wasn't as taken with the whole thing as the rest of my husband's family. After all, it was their tradition and I never fully felt a part of it all. That is, until I had children of my own. Now I'm as excited about the trip as they are, and are finally seeing the whole thing for what it really is: the making of some of the best memories of growing up that these Muehleck grandkids will ever have. Thank you Grandma Muehleck and Buck! We love you both, and we love the memories you've allowed the third generation of your family to create in your home!
The girls loved spending time with their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, playing in the sand and water, and visiting all of their favorite places on the penninsula (The Farm in Sister Bay, The Sandpiper Restaurant in Bailey's Harbor, Wilson's Ice Cream Shoppe in Ephraim, Novel Ideas book shop in Bailey's). Jenna's highlight of the week was "going Sea-doo-ing with daddy". Kara loved "jumping on the trampoline" that Aunt Jen and Uncle Steve had up on their beach. Jack wasn't a big fan of the sand, or the water for that matter, but he loved all of the extra attention bestowed up him by all of his grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.
The highlight of the week, as usual, was the 4th of July and all of it's traditional components: being in the Bailey's Harbor parade with "Buck" and his model-A club . . . having hot dogs in the park after the parade . . . visiting the "crap" fair after the parade . . . BBQ-ing with the whole family for dinner . . . staying up late to watch the Phillips family fireworks on the beach . . . having smores by the campfire . . . staying up even later to watch the fireworks from town, across the water.
For the first several years that I spent the 4th in Door County, I have to admit I wasn't as taken with the whole thing as the rest of my husband's family. After all, it was their tradition and I never fully felt a part of it all. That is, until I had children of my own. Now I'm as excited about the trip as they are, and are finally seeing the whole thing for what it really is: the making of some of the best memories of growing up that these Muehleck grandkids will ever have. Thank you Grandma Muehleck and Buck! We love you both, and we love the memories you've allowed the third generation of your family to create in your home!



0 comments:
Post a Comment