100 Things About Me
THE PHYSICAL ME
1. I'm 5' 1-1/2" tall. Yes, I always do include that 1/2" , if people ask. I'm not as exact with my weight. Let's just say I'm over 100lbs., and leave it at that.
2. I have really dark brown hair, naturally . . . despite the fact that I was very blond as a child. Now I pay about $80 every three months to add a touch of blond to my hair. It hides the gray that is starting to appear.
3. I have just about the worst looking feet and hands you can imagine.
4. I have brown eyes like both of my parents but, unlike my parents, my vision is perfect.
5. I'm right-handed.
6. I had my gallbladder removed in 2006, so I have four tiny scars on my abdomen from the procedure.
7. I have a freckle in my ear that people always think is dirt or something else.
8. I have two vaccination marks on my left shoulder, but have no idea why I had that vaccination twice.
9. I still have a scar from the place where my first chickenpox emerged. I scratched it until it bled before I knew what it was.
10. The sagging skin on my belly and hideous veins on my legs appeared between 2002 and 2007, a.k.a. the five years that I spent pregnant and/or nursing my babies.
FAMILY STUFF
11. I am the oldest of two children. I have a brother Dan that is 3 years and 10 months younger than me.
12. My mom and dad also have only one brother each, although they are both the youngest.
13. My paternal grandparents, "Papa Bud" and "Grandma Dorothy" were both deaf; one was born deaf, the other lost hearing from scarlet fever as an infant.
14. My maternal grandparents, "Grandma and Grandpa Lenon", adopted my mom and uncle from Catholic Charities as infants.
15. I met my husband on a blind date . . . we were set up by his mother, who was my co-worker at the time.
16. I had three distinct types of labor and delivery with my children: the first was "too slow" (Jenna's took 14 hours), the second was "too fast" (almost gave birth to Kara in the hospital waiting room, WITHOUT an EPIDURAL, I might add), the last was "just right" (Jack came after I was in the hospital for about 2 hours and about 20 minutes after the epidural).
17. Jenna's middle name, Margaret, is after my Grandma Lenon.
18. Kara Lynn's name is in honor of Mark's mom, Carolyn.
19. Jack's given name is John Philip, after three of our grandfathers who were named John, and Marks' grandfather Philip.
20. I came from a small family and love being a part of the larger family that I married into.
HOBBIES AND STUFF
21. Although I don't find much time these days, I love to read.
22. I used to be really into scrapbooking, but just can't find the time to keep up with it these days.
23. I love to watch movies, both at a movie theater and at home.
24. I would someday love to learn to do something creative: painting, pottery, sewing
25. Although I'm new at it, I consider writing a hobby of mine as of late.
26. I like to spend time alone. Whether it's reading, walking, shopping, or just lounging, sometimes I just need some down time.
27. Speaking of down time, I love to nap! Mark can hardly force himself to sleep during the day. Me? I could close my eyes and fall asleep practically any time, anywhere! Closing the shades and laying in my bed for a daytime nap is a real treat for me. I get it from my dad.
28. Despite what Mark's family might think, I actually like to play games. Only I'm not good at them, and the competitive nature of games makes me nervous. But, I like trivia games, word games like Scrabble and crossword puzzles. I know, I'm a nerd.
29. I like television. I'm not a t.v. junkie, but there are a few shows out there that interest me, from sitcoms to dramas to documentaries to cooking shows to reality t.v. to news programs. There's not a whole lot on network television that interests me, but I can usually find something on cable worth watching.
30. I like shopping, especially for decorative things. Most of the time I'm just browsing, but I love to look at home decor, furniture, linens, wall hangings, pottery, holiday decorations, etc.
STUFF I HATE
31. Tuna.
32. Racism, intolerance and ignorance.
33. Too much commotion, noise, disorder.
34. Really hot weather and really cold weather.
35. Storms. I'm very, very afraid of storms that pack lightening, wind and/or tornado warnings.
36. Living away from my family and friends.
37. Dog hair/cat hair . . . any shedding animal hair on my carpet, clothing, car, etc. Drives me crazy!
38. Heights. I wasn't always afraid of them, but I am now.
39. Flying. Same as above. Never minded it as a child, but have grown fearful over my lifetime.
40. Confrontation. I rarely stand up for myself, argue with others, or voice my complaints.
I BELIEVE
41. in God.
42. that all things happen for a reason.
43. in always following your gut.
44. that there is good in everyone, but nobody is perfect
45. that you should never stop learning.
46. in miracles.
47. family matters most.
48. I'm a good mom.
49. my children are my greatest responsibility and a true gift from God
50. in volunteering and sharing my gifts and talents where they can be used
I WISH
51. my grandparents lived long enough to see me get married and meet my children.
52. that I never started smoking.
53. money wasn't a concern
54. I lived closer to my family and friends.
55. my kids will grow up healthy and happy and strong.
56. my marriage will last forever.
57. I tried harder in college.
58. that I would have made exercise a habit early in my life
59. that I would have lived on my own and traveled more before I got married and started a family.
60. I had a closer relationship with my brother.
I'VE NEVER
61. interviewed for a job I didn't get.
62. been to Europe.
63. done drugs.
64. lived by myself.
65. gotten a tattoo
66. broken a bone.
67. been skydiving, hot air ballooning, or anything else that requires being high above the ground -- except para-sailing
68. been in a fist-fight
69. been arrested (I was "picked up" for underage drinking once as a teenager, but not technically booked)
70.
CAREER AND EDUCATION
71. I went to Catholic school from kindergarten through high school and wore uniforms to school every day.
72. I graduated from NIU in four years, despite failing and having to re-take a few classes and changing my major from physical therapy to speech pathology
73. I applied to about 10 graduate schools for two years and was never accepted into a speech pathology program.
74. I went to night school and got my masters degree in Early Childhood Education.
75. I always had a job from the time I was 15 until I became a stay-at-home mom at age 31.
76. I've worked at an ice cream shop, doctor's office, realtor, health center, special education cooperative, university and elementary school. I've also shown model homes, tutored, babysat and worked at a meal preparation chain.
77. I was hired for a job as a waitress, went to the training and orientation, and was never called to work there. That was almost ten years ago. To this day, when I drive by the restaurant I always say, "wait, let me run in and see if I'm on the schedule for this week." Still cracks me up. Darn 'Leona's'!
78. After graduate school, I went on to work for the university in a grant program created by one of my professors.
79. I've been lucky enough to work with some amazing people in every job I've ever had. There's at least one person from each place that had a major impact on my life, and I keep in touch with people from just about every place I have ever worked or gone to school.
80. As a student, I was always excellent at standardized tests. I always scored in the upper 90th percentile in grade school achievement tests. . . did so well on high school entrance exams that I landed in honors classes . . . scored pretty well on my ACTs and GREs. Ironically, I'm a much better test-taker than I am a student. A very rare reversal of what is normally the case when people don't test well.
KID STUFF
81. My mom was a stay-at-home mom until we were in school, and then she worked at our grammar school.
82. We went on a vacation every year that I can remember. Sometimes it was a short trip to somewhere in the Midwest, sometimes it was a big trip to a place like Disney or Canada or California.
83. I always had my own room and can still remember the pink walls and red carpeting of my childhood.
84. My happiest memories of childhood are the holidays I spent with my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents, and all of the time I spent at my grandparents' houses -- having sleep-overs, playing at their houses, and having Sunday dinners with the whole family.
85. I lived in the same house from the time I was two months old until the day I got married (well, except for college and a brief stint living in an apartment after college). My parents still live there today, and I love that my kids have the chance to grow up with that house as well.
86. I met friends in kindergarten that I still have to this day.
87. I spent a lot of time at the public library -- checking out books, taking classes, and participating in reading programs. My love for reading was fostered from an early age.
88. I can still recall the magic of Christmas time, and the tradition that came with it: decorations, midnight mass, lifesavers and calendars from grandma, the wonder of seeing the gifts that Santa left under the tree, driving home late at night from my aunt and uncle's house with my grandma and grandpa in the back seat of our car, listening to Christmas music on the radio.
89. My dad came home from work every evening at 4:20pm, and I was usually laying on the floor watching the Brady Bunch on t.v. while my mom made dinner in the kitchen. I can vividly recall the rough, green shag carpet on the floor, the gold couch pillow I was laying on, the darkness that would be falling over the room as the sun set during the winter months. Cozy!
90. I remember the happy times of playing with neighbors outside all day long. . .attending friends' birthday parties at McDonald's, Farrel's, Zips, Ground Round, the roller rink and in their homes. . . having "best friends" that would change from year to year (Colleen L., Stacy S., Gina F., Michelle E., Audra D., Julie H.
MORE ME
91. I'm impatient, moody, sarcastic, and honest. I have a hard time admitting when I'm wrong.
92. I'm always willing to help a friend.
93. I'm not a perfect wife, by any means, but I'm faithful, dependable, honest, and trusting.
94. I cry easily. When I'm angry, sad, frustrated, happy or hurt, the tears just flow.
95. I start a lot of things that I never finish, and tend to procrastinate a lot.
96. I'm very organized and a bit anal. This might not be reflected in my day-to-day life, but if something is unclean, unorganized or out of place, it bothers me.
97. I'm sensitive. I take things to heart, don't easily forget insults, don't handle criticism well.
98. There are very, very few people that I don't get along with. I'm pretty good at adapting to new people and places and can talk to most anyone.
99. I don't like to brag about myself, so let me also disclose that I bite my nails, I swallow my gum, and have an annoying tone to my voice. I also sweat way more than the average woman, stink at sports, and am clumsy and uncoordinated. I love to sing, but am a horrible singer. I'm a mediocre cook and horrible at baking. There, that feels better.
100. At the age of 35, I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up".



0 comments:
Post a Comment