CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 13, 2008

A Big, Fat Embarrassment

As I mentioned in my last post, my three darling children were visiting grandma and pa for the last couple of nights.

On Monday evening, they decided to take the darlings to get ice cream along with a couple of my dad's former co-workers and friends. Grandma went up to the counter to order the ice cream while Pa sat with his three little darling grandchildren, no doubt showing them off to his friends and beaming proudly. At that point Kara, my cherub-faced, golden-haired, bright-eyed little girl turned to one of my dad's friends, looked her in the face, and said, "You're big. And you're fat."

Ugh!

Thank God in heaven that I wasn't there to witness that. I was mortified when my mom reported the story to me the next day, and I still am. What do I do? Of course I had a long talk with Kara about being nice to people and not hurting other people's feelings (she listened to about the first 15 seconds of what I was saying, ignored the rest, and then changed the subject). It's not like I can call this lady and bring the whole thing up again, just to apologize for Kara's behavior, can I?

My mom tells me not to worry about it. As my grandmother would say, "Out of the mouths of babes". Yeah, and out of the mouths of 80 year-old women too! I can remember my grandmother embarrassing me with comments like that back when she was a full-fledged senior and said what she wanted, when she wanted.

At the end of the whole conversation, my mom looked at me, lowered her voice and said, "Well, you know, the lady was wearing shorts, and she probably shouldn't have been."

Hmmmm. . . . apparently the apple fell from the tree, bounced right over me, and hit my cherub-faced, golden-haired, bright-eyed little girl smack in the face.

0 comments: