CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 12, 2008

Time Alone With Toys

Right now I should be taking a shower, packing up my overnight bag, loading up the dog, and heading up to my parents' house. But I just can't seem to get motivated to leave the peace and quiet of my home. You see, for the last glorious 48 hours, ALL THREE of my darling children have been visiting grandma and pa! Today is the day I go to pick them up. I miss them, of course, and can't wait to see them, of course . . . but I have never enjoyed time away from them as much as I have for the past two days.

When grandma made the offer to meet up with us Sunday after church and take the kids home with them, my heart skipped a beat. This was the day I was waiting for! The day I have dreamed of for months where I would have all of the time in the world to do all of the things I lament about not being able to do with my children. Places I would go, stores I would check out, restaurants I would try, books I would read, projects I would accomplish. I spent Saturday night in a restless battle for sleep, with my mind mulling over all of the possibilities.

Sunday, after dropping the kids off, Mark and I took the long, scenic ride down Rt. 66 back home. I use the word scenic lightly, because like the rest of central Illinois, all there is to see is corn and soybeans. But it was nice to take a drive on a beautiful summer day, and not have to listen to "Max and Ruby" on the DVD player in the background.

Sunday afternoon and evening were lazy, and about the only thing I accomplished was going out to dinner with Mark. That was nice too, because we got to try out a restaurant that I've wanted to go to, without the kids. I got to order what I wanted (and not worry about choosing something I could share with Jack), we didn't have to rearrange the table settings, pick things up off the floor, cut anyone else's food, bring anyone to the bathroom, or give constant reminders to one another to eat. We just sat there, in glorious silence. It made me think about all of the times in the past where I've observed couples having dinner together that didn't seem to be talking at all. It always made me kind of sad to see two people sitting together, but having nothing to say to one another or not having the desire to communicate. Now I realize those poor, lonely people might have actually just been enjoying a meal out without their children!

Monday was a full day off, and full of possibilities. Sadly, I couldn't settle on a good idea, so instead I tackled the chore of unpacking some of the boxes in the basement, getting some things together for a garage sale, and rotating out the massive amounts of toys that my children have. Not a glamorous way to spend the day, but it was quiet. And I got to toss out whatever I wanted, put things where I wanted, and sort and clean to my heart's content. Each of my children will come home to new toys in their bedrooms today, new things to play with in the family room and playroom, and even a few unopened toys still in boxes from last Christmas!

Thanks grandma and pa for giving me a few days worth of peace and quiet. I'll get going now, so that I can get to your house and return your lives to normal as quickly as possible. When we're gone tomorrow, and peace and quiet have returned to your house, I'll bet you find a little part of yourself yearning for the sounds of Max and Ruby (and Jenna, Kara, and Jack). I know I have!

0 comments: