CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

April 28, 2011

What a difference a year makes ...

In preschool Kara refused to perform.  She wouldn't get up on a stage without coaxing, wouldn't sing in front of other parents/families at their gatherings, and hated to be looked at.

In the fall, Kara disliked kindergarten.  She cried every morning before the bus came, every day on the bus, and every night at bedtime.  She didn't want to go, didn't want anyone to talk to her, didn't want anyone to look at her.

I'm not going to lie, I was frustrated and a bit concerned.

As the months wore on and fall turned to winter and winter to spring, I saw a big difference in her.  She was smiling more, crying less, and not complaining about school at all.

Tonight was the Kindergarten Spring Music Show.  Kara was to stand in the front row on stage, facing the gym filled with a couple of hundred audience members.  I was scared for her and her reaction, but up until the concert she has made no negative comments or gave any indication that she was worried.

As the 90+ kindergartners marched into the gym and took their places on the stage, I held my breath.  I avoided eye contact with her, and actually kind of hid behind the person in front of me so that she couldn't see me.  That usually makes the situation worse for her.

The music started and the concert had begun.  I slowly peeked my head around the person in front of me to get a look at Kara and this is what I saw ...


She stood in that front row, looking all darling in her Easter dress, and sang every word to every song.  And I mean sang.  You could tell just by looking at her that she was giving it her all, singing loud and clear. In between songs and sometimes during them, her eye would catch mine and she'd give me a brief little smile before she averted her gaze and got back to her serious duty.

I couldn't have been more proud of my baby girl, or more relieved.  She finally felt comfortable enough to do something like this, and I finally didn't have to feel badly about her missing out on an opportunity.

What a difference a year makes.

0 comments: