CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

April 25, 2011

This takes the cake ...

Wait.  That's not it!  I can't finish my Easter posts without a single word about the cake!

My greatest accomplishment of Easter was the carrot cake. The one I stayed up until midnight the night before baking. The one I got up at 6 in the morning to ice. The one that didn't seem to have enough icing, so I made a 2nd batch to make it just perfect.  The one I painstakingly drew icing carrots on top of, and hand placed chopped walnuts on for decoration.



I kept it in the kitchen with me all day as I cooked, admiring my work as I went along.

In the kitchen, on the counter, right next to the stove that was on all day, cooking the ham and scalloped potatoes and asparagus and rolls mentioned above.

At which point, Mark walks into the kitchen, points and laughs.  I look at my beautiful carrot cake only to see that the large amounts of icing I had used to disguise the crooked-ness of the cake had all melted down into big globs that now surrounded the base of the cake.  Big walnut covered globs. 

I wanted to kick him in the shins and yell, but then I remembered the post that I wrote about him and the Easter eggs the night before and decided to let it go.  For now.

But doesn't that just take the cake?!!

I guess I deserve it though for getting all cocky about the zucchini bread and thinking that meant I was now able to bake.

0 comments: