CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

July 29, 2011

Five Minute Friday: "Still"

Since I began reading blogs I have seen writers do this thing where they "link up" to other bloggers who are all sharing on the same topic for a day.  Sometimes it's photography, home organization, fashion, recipes, crafts, holiday decorating .... other times it's parenting or family-related.  For the last few months I have seen a link-up that has intrigued me called "Five Minute Friday".  Each week a one word writing prompt is given and you are supposed to set a timer for 5 minutes and just write.  Whatever comes into your mind.  No editing, no pressure.

I've decided to give it a try.

Normally I separate my own personal "writing" (if you can call it that) from my family blog, but 'ya know what?  I kind of think that something like this belongs here, in small doses.  Like 5 minute doses.  Because, after all, the whole point of this blog is to record our family history and give my kids something to look back on and read when they're grown.  And how cool would it be if every kid could read a bit of their mom's heart and perspective all those years later?  To really have a chance to know her, or who she was back when she was just a mom doing her best to survive the days while cherishing them?

I would personally love that.  So I'm going to do it.  For my kids, as much as for myself.

: :

"Still"

I still haven't gotten my hair colored like I've needed to for about a month now.  The bathroom still isn't finished being cleaned.  There are still things in the dryer that need folding.  I still have scaffolding set up in the upstairs hallway to paint the bare walls.  I still need to finish school supply shopping.  I still have to get those landscaping estimates.  I still want to have a garage sale this summer and go to the museum and take the kids bowling.

I still should.  I still have to.  I still need to. 
But what do I really need? 
To BE still. 

To find the time and the ability to just be still and soak in the stillness.  To be able to sit silently with myself, relax and listen to the little voice inside of me that guides me.  To think about God's will and ask Him for guidance.  Because if I did, I'm quite confident that He wouldn't mention any of those things listed above.  I think He'd tell me that I'm doing a great job.  The best I can.  That my kids are happy and healthy and enjoying their summer.  That we deserve to spend this carefree, relaxing time together because the summer will be over before we know it.  Perhaps the last summer of me being a stay-at-home mom to three little kids who love spending time with me. 

I think he'd remind me that those things will all still be there tomorrow.  Or next week.  Or next month.  Or next year.  That I can still do them all, in time.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I'd hear if I could just be still enough to hear it.

0 comments: