CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

July 28, 2011

My new phone!

Those that know me well or have talked to me in the last 6 months have surely heard about my cell phone dilemma.

In December, after about 15 years of owning the cheapest, crappiest cell phones, I upgraded to a Smart Phone.  I got a Droid Incredible (for free!) and instantly fell in love.  I could now call, text, check email, go online, get directions ... the possibilities were endless and I was discovering new apps every day.  Music, recipes, books, there was nothing my new phone couldn't do!  Except swim.

You see, sometime around March I was doing dishes (my first mistake) with my beloved cell on the counter next to me.  The phone rang, I reached to answer it, and in one fell swoop the phone landed in the sink full of water.  I quickly sprang to action, grabbed the phone, turned it off and took the whole thing apart drying it the best I could.  I submerged the entire phone in a bowl of dry rice for 2 weeks as I had read online, hoping to draw out any remaining moisture.  Alas, my phone was dead.

I won't even go into the drama that ensued when I learned that I didn't have insurance on the phone and that water damage voided out my warranty.  Countless phone calls and visits to Verizon stores got me nowhere.  I was stuck with a broken phone for the remaining 21 months of my 2 year contract.

Every so often I still try to convince Verizon to give me a new phone.  I shop on eBay and Craigslist trying to work up the nerve to buy a refurbished phone, but am to scared of spending money on a lemon.

Then one day, in my very own house as luck would have it, I stumbled across a cell phone store that I had never seen before.  They had 3 models of phones on display that I thought might be the answer to my prayers.

There was the "Verizon Mattell" model with a sticker price of $230.  It came with a QWERTY keyboard, touch screen and text ability.



 On the pricier side was the "Verizon Flipphone".  At $300 it cost more than the Mattell and seemed to have more basic features.  No keyboard that I could see, unless it was a slide-out.


On the cheaper side was the "Verizon Woodgin" at only $100.30, but that phone seemed to be priced low because of it's apparent issues.  No keyboard, and the numbers even had a backwards 4.


I decided on the Mattell for $230, and you can bet your bottom dollar that I was sure to get insurance on that baby! 

0 comments: