CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 14, 2011

Canoeing on the Fox River

It was a beautiful Sunday morning after a summer of horrendous heat and humidity.  The sun was shining, the temperatures were in the 70's, and we finally met up with Uncle Rob, Aunt Mar and Joey, Sam and Lily to do some canoeing on the Fox River.

It was the kids' first time canoeing, and mine too!  Actually it was my first time on a river, first time in a canoe, and first time even paddling anything.  I fought it, I dreaded it, I resisted it, but the day had finally arrived.  Despite my warnings that I wasn't outdoorsy OR athletic ... that I didn't know HOW to row and I was AFRAID of rivers.



We all met up in Ottawa at a tiny little bar where C&M Canoe Rentals is located.  We packed up our things and took a quick bus ride about 7 miles up stream to our starting point.  After loading our picnic and blankets and coolers and chairs into 3 tiny, tippy canoes we were on our way!

In canoe #1 was Jenna, Sammy and Uncle Rob ...


In canoe #2 was Joey, Jack and Mark ...


In canoe #3 were Lily and Kara with me and Auntie Mar ...



Once we hit the river my fears were quickly put at ease.  The river was only about 100-feet across and pretty shallow in most places.  Shallow enough that each canoe managed to beach itself on a rocky spot at least 2-3 times.  Maybe more if you happened to be in canoe #2.  But I'm not naming any names.  Ahem--Mark and Joey.




My favorite part of the trip (besides the hillbilly family we saw who tied about 6 canoes together and dragged innertubes and an air mattress behind them for extra kids to float on) was the picnic lunch we had on a rocky little island about 1/2 way down the river.  The kids had so much fun exploring the little island, playing in the water, skipping rocks and climbing across an old fallen tree that stretched out across the water.






I was feeling extremely moved by the whole experience.  The very outdoorsy-ness of it all.  Being one with nature.  I even put down my hand sanitizer and stepped into the river myself.  Well, at least enough to get my flip-flops wet, because who KNOWS what's in the dark, murky water beyond?


Soon we realized that it was time to get back into our canoes and continue on our way down the river.  Mainly because the hillbilly family with the air mattresses had caught up with us and invaded our tiny island of peace and solitude with their 40-ounces and tattooed mamas that didn't mind dropping the f-bomb in front of their kids.

The river really was pretty, despite the murky brown water actually IN the river.  I was just silently glad that it didn't smell as bad as some of those stagnant rivers that you drive across in the summertime, and even more glad that one of the canoes hadn't capsized and sent me my precious children into the mucky water.  Because seriously?  There's not enough hand sanitizer in the world to make me allow them into my van had that happened.



We all had a great time splashing each other with paddles, laughing each time someone got stuck in the muck, and cringing each time one of the kids (or adults) made a sudden movement and almost tipped the canoe over.  Kara finally wore me down with her constant begging to paddle.  I figured we were now close enough to the end that we could survive being up the creek without a paddle had she let it slip into the water below.



We had all been worried about the little ones (and quite honestly me) being able to sit still in one position for the 2-3 hour trip, but they all did great!  Jack pretty much sat in one spot the entire time, and even Kara and Lily didn't get fidgety until the very end.  I laughed when Sam started to ask if we were "almost there yet", but I was actually wanting to ask the same question but just didn't have the nerve.


Joey managed to find unique ways to stretch out and avoid sitting still for too long, even while aboard a canoe.


I have to admit I had as great a time as the kids did, and it turns out that I'm really good at canoeing!  I didn't whine once, I did my best to help paddle.  Which is probably why I was rewarded with ice cream at a nearby shop in Utica afterwards.


I love outings like these, and I love finding things to get together and do with our family who can feel so far away at times.  I hope that we continue the tradition and memory making as the kids get older.  I wouldn't even mind making the canoe thing an annual event. 

But only if I get to float on an air mattress down the river next year : )

0 comments: