Hostess
: :
Earlier in the week I was watching a news story on TV about Hostess possibly filing for bankruptcy protection. When the story was over Jenna turned to me and said, "What's that?"
I began to explain bankruptcy and the poor state of the economy when she interrupted, "No, not bankruptcy ... what's a Twinkie?"
Be still my heart, my baby girl doesn't even know what a Twinkie is!
Sure, Hostess produces nothing but chemical cupcakes, HoHos, DingDongs, Suzy Qs and Twinkies, and they're all nutritional garbage ... but really? Have I deprived her of even knowing what one was? They were staples of my childhood, one of my favorite treats ... but instead of being an occasional treat they were staples. There all of the time. And I acquired a taste for junk food that I've been determined to not share with my children. But they need to experience life, right?
So the next day I ran right out and bought a box of Twinkies and HoHos, in an effort to save Hostess. Tonight Jenna got to sample her first Twinkie, and it was love at first taste ...
Apparently it's a love that knows no distance because as soon as the Twinkies and HoHos and I were re-introduced I was right back to where I was as a child ... helpless to their lure.
About 4 days later both boxes were empty and I had eaten about 4 of each myself. Now I know the real reason Hostess isn't welcome in my home. It's not entirely for the nutritional protection of my children, it's because I can't control myself. Old habits die hard, I guess : )




0 comments:
Post a Comment