To say that life with you is an adventure is an understatement. More like an adventure where I never know where I'm going, how I'm going to get there or how long it's going to take. Oh, and once I'm there, I never know how long I'll be staying, if at all!
Early this month, you started preschool. I was so proud of the way you handled those first days being dropped off at school. You didn't bat an eye when I said goodbye, and were all smiles at the end of the day. Well, at least the first day.
On day two you refused to eat a snack. Let me say that again: YOU refused. To EAT. A SNACK no less. I was mystified when your teacher reported this little fact to me at the end of class, but when I heard what the snack was, I was flabbergasted. Ice cream and cookies for your friend Kayla's birthday! Why on earth would you decide to rebel against a snack that normally would turn you into a ravenous little vulture? I mean, come on! I've seen you use your spoon like a razor blade to scrape every little last bit out of your ice cream bowl in the past! Your answer? Simple. "I wanted goldfish and juice like we had last time."
You know what you want. . . and now you're going to learn a tough life lesson: you don't ALWAYS get what you want little girl!
On day three you refused to paint on the easel. That's right, you, the girl who asks to paint at home on an almost daily basis, refused to paint. When all of your classmates came running out the door with their paintings in hand, you came out last with your teacher by your side. When she told me that you decided not to paint, I curiously asked why. Simple. "I wanted to do Play dough".
I'm beginning to sense a pattern here! I repeat: You don't ALWAYS get what you want little girl!
On day four and day five, you began the day with tearful goodbyes for mommy. Crying, screaming, and begging me not to leave. Running out the door after me, chasing me down the hallway. My heart was breaking, and I was about to declare you a preschool drop-out. But on day six, drop off went smoothly. When I dropped you off you said, "bye bye mommy!" in the sweetest little voice. When you chased me to the door, it was only to remind me that I forgot to give you a hug. Skeptical, I left. I kept my cell phone in my pocket, just waiting for your school to call me back. They didn't. When I went to pick you up, you came out of class last and again, your teacher was by your side. With a great big smile I greeted you and told you how proud I was of you. I looked up at your teacher for confirmation that this had indeed been a good day. It was then that she told me that you refused to pose for school pictures. Why? "Because I didn't want to do it."
So, on the sixth day, she got what she wanted.
Today was day seven . . . no news or issues to report. Apparently you also rest on the seventh day.
September 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment