CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

September 8, 2008

Word Search

My baby boy is now 17 months old! Let me just say my obligatory "where has the time gone?" phrase right now. Seriously. I've been down this road three times now, so you'd think I'd no longer be surprised at how fast it goes . . . but silly me, I'm still surprised!

Along with this age comes one of my favorite developmental stages. No, not the ability to climb and leap off of objects both living and non-living. Language development! Maybe it's my background in speech and language or early childhood, but I continue to be amazed at language acquisition at this age. Again, I've been down this road three times, but I'm still surprised!

Jenna was talking by age one, and by a year and a half was communicating in full sentences. Kara was about the same. Very advanced in their language skills, and very proficient at amazing strangers in the grocery store when their tiny little bodies would produce full sentences like, "Mommy, are we done shopping now? Is it time to go home?".

Jack is more of a traditionalist. He's sticking to the expected parameters of language development . . . a few beginning words around age one, a few more real words by one and a half. I have to keep reminding myself that he is on track for normal development, just not as chatty as his big sisters.

A sampling of the sounds/phrases/words in his current repertoire:

mama
dada
gama (grandma)
Pa
yes
uh-uh (no)
bye-bye
uh-oh
oh-no
nigh-nigh (night-night)
down
bup (cup)
boop (book)
woof (dog)

animal noises: baaaa, moo, quack, roar, oink (snort), neigh, woof, meow

0 comments: