CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

September 2, 2008

To My Baby Girl, On Her First Day of Preschool

My dearest Kara,

Today my baby girl became a big girl . . . you started preschool!

We've talked about it for so long, you've been looking forward to making your own friends, and today was the day.

You woke up excited, counted down the minutes until it was time to leave, and even let me take a few pictures of you (which is a big deal because, usually, you hate being in pictures).

You wore a pretty pink dress and your new white sandals, and a smile from ear-to-ear.

I have to admit, I was nervous about how the drop-off would go. I worried that you might cry, or hang on mommy's leg and beg me not to leave. But you didn't! You walked into that room, put on your name tag, washed your hands, and disappeared into the crowd without so much as a goodbye kiss for mommy.

I stood in the classroom for a couple of minutes, just watching you. You were already interacting with the other kids and teachers in the dress-up corner, and didn't even take a peek back to see if I was still there. I took a few more photos of you in action.

I stood at the doorway for a minute, just in case you needed me. You didn't.

I left but stuck around outside, peeking in your window from time-to-time to make sure you weren't crying or sad or afraid. You weren't. During my first peek, you were busy gluing and pasting your little heart out. My second peek let me see you enjoying your snack.

In so many ways you are so very different from your big sister. I've worried and cried on Jenna's first day of everything in her life. Today, I didn't shed a tear. It's not because I've been through it all before or because I'm not sad to see you growing up . . . it's because I know that you're a tough little cookie, and you'll be okay.

I'm so very proud of what a big girl you were on your first day of school. I just know that preschool is going to be great for you. You're going to learn so many new things, meet so many new friends, and get to be a part of something that is just for you . . . not Jenna or Jack!

But, you want to know what else is just for you? Mommy's love. I might love your sister and brother too, but I never, ever share that special love in my heart that is just for you baby girl.

Lots of love,
Mommy

0 comments: